Monday, April 19, 2010

Superstitions

This morning, I found myself frantically looking for a person I could bump into so that I could pass my "sorrow" on and have a good day. I did find a person, and as a result of passing on my sorrow, my boss isn't in today. It's always a good day when your boss isn't in, unless he is extremely good looking, or you need something from him/her.

Anyway, how did I get this "sorrow" you wonder? Well, how many of you believe in that childhood superstition about ravens? "One for sorrow, Two for joy, Three for a girl, four for a boy (depending on how old you are)" I totally believe in this and I saw a raven eating a dead rat in the morning, just as I stepped out of the house to go to work.

I decided to make a list of superstitions that I believe in and that some friends and people I know believe.

1) The Raven thing - The way to make yourself immune to the curse (?) is to have your index and your middle fingers crossed. This morning, I didn't have my fingers crossed. You may also pass on your "sorrow" by touching another person and you must share your joy by getting another person to uncross your crossed fingers.

2) The mail van - If a person sees a mail van, s/he must make a wish and cross his/her fingers. S/he must not talk until s/he sees a black car. At this point, the fingers may be uncrossed and the wish will come true. I have no clue if this works, but for some reason I believe it!

3) Vishwa's superstition - If you wear new clothes on a Wednesday, you get new clothes.

4) Matthew Gray Gubler's superstition (which I have adopted) - It's good luck to wear two different socks instead of a pair.

If you guys have any you'd like to share, feel free to comment! :)

1 comment:

  1. We don't have ravens here...so naturally I wouldn't have a superstition involving them.

    To me superstitions are fruitless. So as a result I have never religiously taken action for any of them. Perhaps this is why nothing is ever easy for me and so difficult.

    ReplyDelete